Thursday 23 February 2012

St David's Day

(Goblin is 28 months)
Next Thursday, the 1st of March, is St David's Day. St David being, of course, the patron saint of Wales. In remembrance of Goblin's lovely Welsh 'Poppy' Rob who sadly died last year, I intend to do lots of Welsh St David's day activities (hopefully with Goblin if he's up for it) this coming week.
To start us off I have made Hublet and myself some St David's day pins. 
Daffodil's and leeks are traditionally worn on St David' day. The leek is the Welsh emblem and apparently dates back to the battle of Heathfield in 633 AD when St David persuaded his fellow Welshmen to stick a leek in their hats so they could recognise each other on the battlefield. More interestingly the Daffodil is also a Welsh emblem because the word 'Daffodil' translates in Welsh as a type of leek.

I'm sharing this on

2 comments:

  1. Yeah another Welsh connected blogger - we've got some St David's day activities going on next week as well. I'm hoping to get J enthused about it and his Welsh Herritage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading and learning more about St David's day :-)

    ReplyDelete

I have decided to turn off comments on the blog as I am being inundated with spam. I do this with sadness as I love genuine comments from readers. If you would like to leave a comment please email me at TamingtheGoblin@gmail.com or visit the TamingtheGoblin FaceBook page (you can access it through the FB icon in the top right corner of the blog homepage).
Thank you for taking the time to read the blog.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...