Sunday 11 December 2011

Ginger Bread Joy

(Goblin is 26 Months)
We have our Christmas lunch at work this week so I thought I'd take in some Christmas biscuits. Goblin helped me make them. We did the whole thing on the floor on a plastic mat that I cleaned thoroughly first. Goblin loves washing his hands so getting him to clean up before starting wasn't difficult.
I used a really easy recipe I found on cookUK.

INGREDIENTS

350g / 12oz plain flour
175g / 6oz light soft brown sugar
100g / 4oz butter
1 medium egg
4 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1½ teaspoon of ground ginger
Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4
Cook for 15 minutes.

I measured all the ingredients into jugs and bowls (I've tried letting Goblin help with this part but he gets over eager and starts spooning stuff into the mixing bowl before I finish weighing it which makes for 'interesting' cooking).
 Goblin poured all the ingredients from the jugs into the mixing bowl and started mixing with a big wooden spoon - quite a lot ended up out of the bowl but I rescued it. He helped me spoon in the golden syrup, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into the bowl. Once I'd bashed out any lumps and blended the butter in a bit I let Goblin get his hands in and mix it up properly. We squished it until all the flour was mixed in and the mixture formed a ball. Then I rolled it out and Goblin cut out the shapes.
Then we put the biscuits in the oven to cook for 15 minutes and cool -  Time for Goblin to have a bath and a nap. When he woke up we decorated the biscuits with red, green and white icing, silver balls, little marsh mallows and sparkly edible glitter (which makes everything taste better). Goblin liked dribbling the icing and kept saying "painting".
Hublet commented that the biscuits looked like they'd been in some horrible massacre - I used bright red to be Christmassy but on reflection it may have been a mistake.
When we put Goblin to bed we asked what book he wanted, he chose Biscuit Bear. How very appropriate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I have decided to turn off comments on the blog as I am being inundated with spam. I do this with sadness as I love genuine comments from readers. If you would like to leave a comment please email me at TamingtheGoblin@gmail.com or visit the TamingtheGoblin FaceBook page (you can access it through the FB icon in the top right corner of the blog homepage).
Thank you for taking the time to read the blog.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...