Saturday 5 November 2011

felt balls - wet felting and needle felting

(Goblin is 24 months)
This week I have been experimenting with felting again. I wanted to see whether it was easier to make big felt balls using needle felt or wet felting. The only problem is I haven't done wet felting before, but why would that stop me!
My expectations of the wet felting working were quite low so I didn't bother to take any photos of the process. As it happened it worked great and looks fab, so I'll have to do it again so I can do a step by step for anyone else who wants to try.  
My plan was to make a hollow ball that could be a 'case' for Goblin's play silk. But I forgot how big the play silk was and it doesn't fit. I'll have to find a smaller silk to go inside. In the mean time though a least I know the method works. 
My other felt ball was a needle felted stuffed owl. It is somewhere between the size of a tennis ball and a golf balls. It actually took me quite a bit longer than the wet felting to make.
But it does make a lovely light ball for Goblin to play with indoors without breaking stuff. And when he's not playing with it I can use it to decorate my Autumn tree (which should probably be turning into a winter tree quite soon).

2 comments:

  1. Felting is very addictive though I'm still very new to it, and making felt balls was our first attempt at wet felting too.
    I like the needle felt snails too, very inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to learn how to do this!

    ReplyDelete

I have decided to turn off comments on the blog as I am being inundated with spam. I do this with sadness as I love genuine comments from readers. If you would like to leave a comment please email me at TamingtheGoblin@gmail.com or visit the TamingtheGoblin FaceBook page (you can access it through the FB icon in the top right corner of the blog homepage).
Thank you for taking the time to read the blog.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...